When the dealings done
Saturday, September 23, 2006
If you can't spot the sucker in the table during the first 5 minutes of play, then you are the sucker.

I joined a poker tournament earlier today. One, because I really didn't have anything else to do today, two, to see whether I have what it takes to play on tables where the stakes are more than your bag of chips.

I realized I didn't have in me. And people actually thought I could win. I didn't even advance to the second table.

I actually started out pretty well. Got some good cards. Played out some bad cards well. I was even chip leader in our table for a time. Things were going pretty well before my notorious complacency started to set in.

And then one thing went wrong. And then another. And then another. I tried to shake it off. To make one big play. But the more I tried the more I sink in. I was never lucky. That's why I wasn't looking for anything lucky. I tried to approach things the way I knew how. Thinking it through, and trying to come up with a good decision based on what I know.

But then the next thing I knew I was short-stacked, being bullied (quite artistically) by the Lasam cousins, and then going all in with an ace-five off suit. Against a pocket pair of queens. In all fairness I gave them a quick scare by flopping a straight draw. But then I was never lucky. The turn came up. And then the river. And no straight.

Calling into mind everything that had happened, I realized I really didn't know what happened. It was like at some point during the morning my head started to ache and then I stopped thinking and started feeling.

I started going with the feeling in my guts. Not realizing that that's just the bad breakfast I ate this morning and not a big booming voice in the sky telling me to raise. Haha. Tough luck. Then I again luck was always tough with me. And poor me I never really learned not to bet on it.

And so here I am. A hundred fifty bucks short witha headache to boot, just because I really didn't have anything to do on a Saturday.
 
posted by Lubert at 5:34 AM | Permalink


2 Comments:


At 7:22 AM, Blogger Goddess Levs

haha! you never had the poker face from the start naman talaga kuya! :P

 

At 5:44 PM, Blogger Lubert

oo nga.. am i that transparent? hehe