Ain't no mountain high enough
Wednesday, May 24, 2006
Any road followed precisely to its end leads precisely nowhere. You must climb the mountain just a little... enough to see that its a mountain, enough to see where the other mountains are. From the top of any mountain, you cannot see that mountain.

Grabe, hilong hilo na talaga ako. Sino ba talaga ang naunang Pinoy sa Mt. Everest?

Someone once told me (I think si Virge) there was no point in climbing mountains, bababa ka rin naman daw kasi.

Ewan ko rin lang. Being the frustrated mountain climber that I am, naturally I would say that that's bull. That there are a lot of logical reasons behind climbing mountains. Its just unfortunate that I can't think of one right at this moment. Hahaha. Maybe we should ask a real climber to get some decent answers.

"Mountains are climbed because they are there." A friend of mine once told me. An accomplished climber in his own right, this friend of mine. He added, "Every once in a while one must need to climb mountains to show that he is a man." Its funny because the last mountain he climbed, they saw an old lady at the top selling call cards and stuff. Hahaha.

Seriously, I think there's more to climbing than just a test of manhood. Its a test of will.

Things get into your head when you're up there. And they're not necessarily about 7th Heaven. Because when you ask yourself why you should stand the heat, the sweat, the muscle pains the next day just to reach the top of some stupid point in the earth's crust, you better have some answers ready or else you'll never get there.

As for me, the answer is simple, it's because I can, so I will.

So never mind all the muscle pain, the sweat, the heat, because when you're up there, you can always tell yourself, "That was great. You did good."

So congratulations to the Filipino Everest Climbers. What they did was no joke, and its an accomplishment I can only dream of doing. My hat's off to you.
 
posted by Lubert at 5:45 AM | Permalink


0 Comments: